You will have:
- Fifi eye masks sample – obtain the free sample [please note: if you can’t download the pattern, it is because your server is denying access to the file for security reasons]
- 15cm (1/5 yard) light- to medium-weight cotton for the principle material (we used Cloud9 Escapade natural cotton voile courtesy of Hantex)
- 15cm (1/5 yard) material for going through (we used a silky satin for the backing – select one thing that may really feel good in your delicate eyelids)
- Matching thread
- 10cm (1/8 yards) wadding (we bought ours courtesy of our studio neighbours Fancy Moon – thanks, Nancy!)
- 38cm (15in) x 9-12mm (1/2in) vast elastic (a bit kind of when you suppose your head is especially massive or small!)
- 1m (40in) string or wire
- Stitching machine and fundamental instruments
Open the sample file in Adobe Reader (you possibly can obtain it at no cost). Print the sample on both A4 or Letter measurement paper, choosing “precise measurement” or “set scaling to 100%” or “flip off scaling” in your print settings. You possibly can double examine the sample has printed at full scale by measuring the check sq. – it must be precisely 40mm x 40mm.
Lower out your material:
- Lower 1 eye masks sample piece in your major material, snipping the notches.
- Lower 1 eye masks sample piece in going through material, snipping the notches, then trim it down by 2-3mm (1/8in) all the best way round – this may assist the seam roll to the again so it’s not seen if you put on the masks.
- Lower 1 eye masks sample piece in wadding, then trim it down by 15mm (5/8in) so it should match inside the opposite items comfortably.
- Lower an oblong strip in your major material for the elastic strap, 90cm (35½in) x 4cm (1 5/8in).
Fold and press the strip in half lengthways, proper sides collectively. Lower a bit of string barely longer than the strip. Slip it contained in the folded strip and sew it shut to at least one finish, again tacking over it just a few occasions so it’s good and safe. We’ll use the string to drag the strip proper sides out as soon as we’ve sewn it…
Sew collectively the lengthy uncooked edges of the strip utilizing a 7mm (2/8in) seam allowance, enclosing the string subsequent to the material fold. It helps to drag the string taught as you go, so that you don’t sew over it.
You must now have a tube. Clutch the unfastened finish of the string and pull it out of the tube, turning the tube proper sides out over it as you go. This could take a little bit of time so go slowly! It may assist to make use of then finish of a pen or pin to push the material inside itself. As soon as it has turned all the best way out, trim off the top with the string connected and provides it press to neaten it up.
Connect a security pin to at least one finish of the elastic, and pin the opposite finish to at least one finish of the tube quickly. Insert the security pin into this finish of the tube and feed it by means of, distributing the material evenly because it begins to collect up.
When the security pin emerges on the different finish, pin it to this finish of the tube. With every finish of elastic lined up with the opening of every finish of the tube, sew throughout every tube opening utilizing a 10mm (3/8in) seam allowance to safe the elastic in place.
Tack (baste) one finish of the elastic tube to every aspect notch on the attention masks piece, proper sides collectively, utilizing a 10mm (3/8in) seam allowance. Make certain the tube isn’t twisted.
Lay the going through piece on high of the attention masks piece, proper sides collectively. Pin them collectively across the outdoors edge, matching the notches – because you trimmed the going through, you will must stretch it ever so barely. The elastic tube might be sandwiched within the center – take care to not catch it within the pins. We have to depart a gap between the 2 notches on the highest fringe of the attention masks – you possibly can mark all sides of the opening with two pins to remind you to cease stitching right here.
Sew across the outdoors of the attention masks, utilizing a 15mm (5/8in) seam allowance – keep in mind to depart a gap between the 2 pairs of pins. Trim the seam allowances and notch small triangles across the seam allowance each 2.5cm (1in) or so, being cautious to not snip by means of the stitching. Press the seam allowances open (check the iron setting in your material first).
Flip the attention masks proper aspect out by means of the opening. Press once more, rolling the seam slightly below in the direction of the going through so it’s not seen from the correct aspect of the masks. Slip the wadding into the attention masks by means of the opening and clean it out. Press the seam allowances on the opening to the within of the masks and pin the opening closed. To shut up the opening, you possibly can slipstitch it by hand, or take a brief reduce and edgestitch it (topstitch near the sting) in your machine (we received’t inform!).
Admire your accomplished eye masks, and have a really trendy evening’s sleep!
Possibly you might make one for our Summer season Stitching Instaspam Occasion? Put up a photograph of your Fifi boudoir set or Bettine gown to Instagram or Twitter on Sunday 9 August 2015 utilizing the hashtags #stitching and both #SewingFifi or #SewingBettine, and search the hashtags to seek out others on the get together. See you there!